Black Bean Tortas with Coconut Chipotle Mayo
Okay, hear me out. I am a super picky person. We’re talking turkey & mayo sandwiches as a kid. Chicken nuggets with no sauce. Plain spaghetti noodles. I’m sure there’s more I could horrify you with, but I’ll leave it there for now.
I was convinced to try these sandwiches and… man. SO. GOOD.
Coconut Chipotle Mayo:
- 1 cup canned coconut milk
- 1/3 cup chipotle hot sauce
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon ground chia or flaxseeds
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- pinch of salt
- 1 teaspoon oil
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3 cups cooked black beans (or 2-15 oz cans)
- 1-1/2 cups vegetable broth
- Juice of 1 lime
- Salt to taste
- 4 crusty rolls, split & toasted
- Sliced tomatoes
- Sliced red onion
- Sliced avocado
- First, the mayo. Combine all ingredients in a food processor until the mixture is smooth. Taste test – do you need more hot sauce? If so, add it. Refrigerate until needed, it will thicken as it stands.
- Now, the beans. Heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onion and saute until golden brown, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic, chili powder, and cumin and cook for about 30 seconds. Add the beans and broth, then stir. Let it come to a simmer, then reduce the heat too low. Using a potato masher or large spoon, smash the beans up as best you can. Add the lime juice & taste. Add salt or spices to taste. Turn off the heat.
- Assemble your torta – spread the mayo on your roll. Pile on the beans, then add the topics you want. Serve right away (add extra hot sauce if that’s your thing) and enjoy!
If you make it, let me know what you think! This recipe has become one of our favorites!
Recipe source: Thug Kitchen